Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Lowest Point

I feel like during study abroad, you go through such a huge range of emotions and you can never really understand how you're feeling. One minute, you're like "yeah, this is my city. I feel so at home" and the next you wonder why you made the choice to leave the comfort of the ones you love. Everytime I get depressed I wonder if I'm at my lowest point since coming here. It's hard to tell.


Here's a picture of me at my literal, physical, lowest point.




On my big trip I visited the southernmost point on the south island!!! It is probably the closest I'll ever be to Antarctica! This was one of the most intense experiences of my life. I have never experienced this kind of wind before. Birds were having trouble flying. From the place that we parked the car, it was a twenty minute walk through a sheep pasture all the way to this lovely photo op near huge, raging waves. We wanted to turn back so many times, but it all seemed worth it to be able to say we had made it there. While standing at this sign, my glasses actually blew off my face and landed really far away in a pile of rocks. That's why I'm holding on to them in the photo. There is kind of a noticeable scratch on the lens now, but it's like a scar, a memory.

By the time we got back to the car, my ears hurt so bad. I was cold. I felt strange, like really empty. We drove for a bit and stopped at this little house thing where a Welsh lady made us hot chocolate and let us warm up by the heater.

No comments:

Post a Comment